Home Owner Grants

Provincial Home Owner Grants

Northern and Rural Area Home Owner Benefit

The Northern and Rural Area Home Owner Benefit (NRAHOB) is a Provincial Government program designed to help homeowners with their property taxes.  The NRAHOB must have been claimed by the tax deadline, of July 2, 2019, to avoid the 10% penalty.  To obtain the grant you must complete an application form.  Completed applications may be submitted via email, fax or online.  Online Home Owner Grant service will be available once the property tax notices have been mailed by clicking on the Online Services tab on the Town of Oliver home page.

If your mortgage company or other agent pays your property taxes, it is still your responsibility to claim the NRAHOB and delivering it to the Town Office by the due date.

If you did not claim your NRAHOB in 2018 and you were and still are living in your principle residence, you may be able to claim your grant retroactively.  This claim must be made before December 31, 2019 to be eligible.

There are two categories of grants which may reduce a home owner's property taxes:

Basic Grant up to $770
To qualify for the basic grant you must:

  • be the owner (or a spouse/relative of the deceased owner) of the property
  • be a permanent resident of British Columbia
  • occupy the building on the tax notice as your principal residence
  • have not applied for or received a home owner grant on any other property in the Province during the calendar year; and no other person can have received a home owner grant on the property for the calendar year.

Additional Grant up to $275.00 for a total grant of $1,045

To qualify for the additional grant you must be:

  • age 65 or over; or
  • a person with disabilities or the spouse or relative of a person with permanent disability (your physician must complete a "Certificate of Person with Disabilities and Property Owner" (Form B); or
  • in receipt of a disability allowance or benefit under the Disability Benefits Program Act (you must enclose a letter from the Ministry of Human Resources confirming your eligibility); or
  • receiving an allowance under the War Veteran Allowance Act (Canada) or the Merchant Navy Veteran and Civilian War- related Benefits Act (Canada) (provide a copy of your most recent cheque stub - War Disability Pensions do not apply). 

For frequently asked questions click here.  For additional information, please contact Home Owner Grant Administration at 1-888-355-2700 or www.gov.bc.ca/homeownergrant.

2018 Home Owner Grant Application Form 

Form B Disability Form

Retroactive Home Owner Grant Form